Tuesday, December 20, 2005

DMV / the joys of driving

Yesterday I had a handful of errands to run. I don't recommend running errands the week before Christmas. The most pleasant, and I think this will come as a surprise, was the DMV. It was honestly a delight. Short wait time, witty banter with the complimentary DMV employee, less to shell out than anticipated . . . It was a good time. The purpose of my visit was to register the honda. She's old and decrepit. We didn't really think she'd pass inspection, and I _did_ bat my eyes a teensy bit at the inspector, Carlos, but I'm sure that our dear honda passed legitimately. ;) Even though the front door won't open from the outside. Climbing through is a hassle, and the door often swings shut if you try to push it open from the passenger side and hurry around to catch it. My favorite method is to unroll the, yes, POWER windows, and open it by reaching in. But sometimes it takes a long while to get the window back up, which is mainly only a problem a) in the dead of winter or b) at the carwash. (Both situations of yesterday)

There's no heater. So I'm completely bundled up as I cruise. Hat, scarf, the works.

The most "fun" part about our honda, however, is the transmission. Most of the time she can't get above second gear. That means on a hill with a decent tail wind, I get her up to about 50mph. That of course rules out the interstate. But even on State Street, as I plug along at about 35mph, people are honking and getting angry because I'm just too slow. Punks. I stick to side streets as much as possible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you use the word "cruise" to describe driving in the Honda.

Ann said...

This is a great story, Em. I didn't realize you and Bo, Luke and Daisy had something in common. In through the window was their favorite way to get in...