Sunday, October 06, 2013

lately

This was General Conference weekend, traditionally one of my favorite weekends of the year. The more kids I have, though, the less I am able to appreciate it. We had some good stuff going on and the boys really aren't so bad, it's that adorable 2.5 year old that is hard to occupy. And what I DID hear of the talks and music was wonderful. I look forward to studying up on it all.
So, many of you may be aware, my sweet AJ has a sleep disorder or two. For a short time it was infuriating ("we're in the middle of a CONVERSATION, here!!" as he dozes off beyond wakeability.) Now mostly it's funny, with bouts of inconvenience. He works on coping methods, however. He knows himself well enough that if he just sits down, he will likely be out post haste. So it is a Conference tradition of ours? his? to take on a really big one-day home improvement project on the Saturday of GC and blast Conference loud throughout the house/project area. This year I got french doors installed from the living room and from the master bedroom onto the back deck. They are lovely and way more efficient than the rotting-trim sliding glass numbers we had going on. But it added to the insanity of Trying to Control Young Children and Be Spiritually Fed Simultaneously.
Enough complaining. You see, since the last time I posted I got knocked up, and am now entering the third trimester. Complaining is coming a little too naturally these days.
Beyond my wildest dreams, it's a girl. I was certain it was a boy and that he would have major physical/developmental problems, but the ultrasounds are showing that I couldn't be more gleefully wrong. I love my boys, and little boys are just fun and wonderful, but I really wanted balance. It makes room sharing and best friendships so much easier this way. She is due at Christmas. At first I wanted to name her Felicity Noelle, but AJ nixed that. It means Merry Christmas! It's so fun! It's a cute and pretty name! It's okay, though, I'm over it, and now my top contenders are Adelaide and call her Haddie, or Margaret and call her Greta. We'll see what I come up with in the next 81 days though. Not that anyone is counting, or hates being pregnant with all the hatred of her shriveled soul.
I think my main excuse for not being blog-active is facebook. Mostly if the kids do or say something cute, I try to post a little something there, then I feel like it is recorded for posterity and why be redundant? But this is great! Almost like talking to grown-ups!

 The bouquet my little boy picked for me today on our between-sessions family walk. I don't think the neighbors will mind that he took them.

E and I celebrated Pirate Day at Krispy Kreme at the last minute this year. Two dozen free doughnuts for two people who love to dress up like pirates anyway? Yes, please!

We love the zoo. Living just a few miles from one of the best zoos in the country sure is awesome. Here are my oldest and current youngest loving on a penguin statue. This trip we actually loved the kangaroos and gibbons most, but the kids (or me?) were too enthralled to pose for or take any decent pictures there. Oh, and the lorikeets! We usually focus on Asia and North America, but I insisted on Australia and the Islands  and it was spectacular. I don't much care for nature, but pen it up and set clear limits and I LOVE it. Who knew?

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading this! Love the update! I love the girl names you have picked out. And I think Felicity Noelle is beautiful, boo AJ!

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

So glad you are back! And I am so excited for your little girl to be. I was so sure that David was a girl. Alas, that was not to be. Oh well- don't be a stranger and post some pics of the new doors. They sound wonderful. I remember AJ doing a home improvement project at my house on conference weekend once. As an aside, do you have the same problem that we seem to have? During sessions when not requiring the children to watch conference and sending them to any other part of the 2 story house that we have, they all congregate to the one room that we are trying desperately to listen to a few words of conference?

Mike and Joanna Stewart said...

Can't wait to see what name you guys name your little one, and to meet her!

Cecily said...

So excited to meet your little girl! You're such a great mom! And friend. And everything else. :)