Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Hospital

As previously mentioned, I hate being pregnant. I suffer from a condition called ante-partum depression, which is not nearly as common as post-partum depression, and there is a clear end in sight (birth), but it is still the pits. But the day that child is ripped from my loins is the greatest day ever. 

My first 3 were born in the same hospital in North Carolina, with the same doc delivering. It was wonderful. The food was spectacular. The service was like unto chick-fil-a's. I was a little worried with this last baby since we are in Ohio. Different experience, might be cruddy. I am here today to tell you, it is great to have a baby in Ohio, too. 

This is me a few minutes after major abdominal surgery. Sweet freedom!


At hospital. Sweet, peaceful Ainsley.


So I here will provide some of the reasons I LOVE being in the hospital after having a baby.


  • The bed reclines with the push of a button.
  • For the first 12 hours, I have a catheter in and am encouraged to sleep as much as possible. It is the first time in months I can rest without having to get up and pee every few hours.
  • For my entire stay there I am encouraged to sleep as much as possible.
  • No one is crabby on a maternity unit.
  • They keep the narcotics coming.
  • While it is a little uncomfortable to have people asking about passing gas and bowel movements, they cheer when I fart and throw a party when I poop. AJ could take a page out of their book. ;)
  • The food. In NC it was amazing. Here it was adequate, but the service was awesome. Renee was the nutrition lady who most often came to me. She took my order and got to anticipating my preferences. "Only one chocolate milk? You want me to bring an extra just in case? Now what about dessert?" On my last day, I said, oh, and probably a chocolate chip cookie. Renee: "You deserve more than one. This is your last meal with us!" She brought 3.
  • I just feel popular there. I overheard during shift-change my nurse telling my next nurse "she's a really easy patient." Made my day.


I've been home one day. I have to find my own food and sweep my own floor. My bed is more comfortable, but doesn't do anything special. I'll get over it. I'm sure home has its perks, too. ;)

7 comments:

karin said...

I enjoy being at the hospital as long as I have to. But I prefer to be home. Bryan cooks better than any hospital, I have had all my babies at different hospitals with different doctors. But I must admit, there is something wonderful about that feeling of having nothing to do but sleep or watch boring tv with commericals, I prefer sleep 😴

karin said...

And home will get better. Real soon. Mom will be there in a few days :)

Keriann said...

I am kinda with Karin. I stayed 5 days with James 48 hours of which were just prep days before he even came out! I LOVED not having responsibility and being waited on but h boy was I hapoy to get home to my.bed! Besides my sweet sweet hubby totally waits on me hand and foot.

I also HATE being.pregnant. Is that ante-partum depression for real? I may need to have a talk with my OB! Aside from how much my A.D.D. does not go well with pregnancy not to mention pregnant on bed rest with A.D.D., I may have your so called ante-partum depression.

Enjoy your beautiful baby girl and don't worry about sweeping the floors Em. Just open the door and let the neighbors dog visit! ;-)

Keriann said...

I am kinda with Karin. I stayed 5 days with James 48 hours of which were just prep days before he even came out! I LOVED not having responsibility and being waited on but h boy was I hapoy to get home to my.bed! Besides my sweet sweet hubby totally waits on me hand and foot.

I also HATE being.pregnant. Is that ante-partum depression for real? I may need to have a talk with my OB! Aside from how much my A.D.D. does not go well with pregnancy not to mention pregnant on bed rest with A.D.D., I may have your so called ante-partum depression.

Enjoy your beautiful baby girl and don't worry about sweeping the floors Em. Just open the door and let the neighbors dog visit! ;-)

Emily Bartlett said...

After having 2 kids at Rex in NC, yes I can now realize what a great place it is and the food there is amazing. I really did miss fried chicken and some carolina bbq this third time around here in California. I have a love hate relationship with those hospital beds. Like the button. Hate the mattress.

Rowdy Family said...

Congratulations!!

Rowdy Family said...

Congratulations!!