I have this son. Let's call him Yelliot. He is so funny, and smart, and adorable. He is challenging to raise. At age 5 1/2, he has discovered urine as a weapon of rebellion. Oh, you read that right. I kind of want to go into the dreadful details, but more I want to spare us all the horror. The even bigger issue accompanying this, however, is disobedience. After discovering he was peeing out of the windows of our home (just ONE of the uses of urine he has developed), AJ had a Big Chat with him about a) pee only goes in the potty, and b) children are only authorized to open a window in case of fire or direct parental request. I mean AJ really laid down the law. Yelliot promised to follow the rules, then completely ignored them. It continues to be a problem. AJ wanted to throw him out the window.
We have gone through any discipline techniques we can think of: Time outs, spanking, screaming, loss of privileges, explaining that he can't have that treat because the money that was earmarked for his treat is now being used to purchase window locks. Nothing has worked. This little fella cannot be trusted.
I decided I can't let him out of my sight. At all. But I have 3 other children who also need at least minimal supervision. I crocheted a chain about 4 feet long and tied one end to each of our wrists. I feed the baby, he sits by me. I switch the laundry, he carries half of the dryer load and then cleans the lint trap. I take a nap, and while his brother and sister get to watch a show, he gets to play on my phone. (I'm not a monster!) When we went to the park, I detached us, but the minute he stepped out of bounds, we were tied up again. It is incredibly inconvenient. My hope is that he finds it so distasteful he will shape right up, but I may be tied to my little boy until kindergarten starts. Oh, help.
I will update you as effects do or don't roll in. Judging by my track record, I would guess I lose tenacity by tomorrow afternoon and he will continue to terrorize us. I tell you what, if the looney bin weren't so expensive, I might have myself committed. Okay, I'm not quite to that point. But I sure could go for a vacation from my problems.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
we still have poop problems around here, that I will spare you the details about. Suffice it to say I FEEL YOUR PAIN!
Have you tried rewarding the behavior you DO want to see? Every time is pees in the toilet (maybe you or AJ need to witness it?) he gets rewarded with something he wants..dimes? candy? something that he would really like and that would be easy for you to doll out any time of day/night.
If that doesn't work, we'll go on a vacation together! :)
Post a Comment