Monday, August 21, 2006

Pioneers in Wyoming

We started out by getting the vision - in SLC. The Sam Stewarts and the Righters went to the This Is The Place Monument. (The kid you don't know is Laura's nephew.)



Following that, we (all) hiked Ensign Peak. This is AJ with little Adam on his shoulders. Everyone was really anxious to get Adam on someone else's shoulders, and AJ won the prize. It was only later that AJ and I learned that Adam had a very poopy diaper.


After that it was off to Wyoming! Along the trail, Brother Ray gave us info and tidbits about stuff I just had no idea about. I couldn't nap the whole way because I didn't want to miss out on anything. The next two photos are at Independence Rock: the group headed up, and Austin walking across. Richelle did fall and smash her cheek, but it just looked extra rosy after a while.

These pictures are at Martin's Cove. Little did I know prior to this trip, Willie and Martin weren't together! Martin was two weeks later. We took 2 handcarts, one pulled by the teenagers and one pulled by Richard & Laurie's family. Both forded the Sweetwater River. The little kids got to ride. The artwork is by our cousin Justin, who will enter kindergarten this year. His other drawing is of the two of us. I really think he nailed my hairdo. Wyoming is quite windy. Justin and I became very good friends on the trip.


This is a picture of those who hiked Rocky Ridge. Only the strong and healthy took this hike, the rest of us drove the vehicles around the mountain to pick them up, which was also quite adventurous. Shelly and I rode together, and she talked to "Baby Comrade" on the CB the whole way there. I can't stop laughing about that one.

This last picture is at the grave of Charlotte Dansie, who died in childbirth on the plains. The baby died, too, but she left a husband and 5 kids to carry on her legacy. That's Brother Ray, our personal tour guide, telling us the story.

Since this is already the longest post in the history of my blog, I'll stop there.

Except to say that AJ and I are going to get our fat nephew a little red t-shirt that has a hammer and sickle on it.

8 comments:

Ann said...

That looks so awesome!

Who are those other people I don't know? The guy pulling with Matt? and the younger girls in your Rocky Ridge picture?

SallyB said...

Emily..are you with the family? Is that your mom and dad in the last picture? What a great place to visit. How long did it take to get there? I wish I was more computer savy...I guess I'm just OLD! Love you!

Unknown said...

The guy pulling with Matt is our cousin Brad. He'll be 18 in November, I think.

The little girls in the RR picture are the Rays' neices.

And yes, those are my folks in the last picture, with Beebe and Bryan off to the side.

I was with the family, but AJ couldn't make it. Honestly, I'm not sure how long it took to get there because we were listening to such great settlement and pioneer stories on the way out, time just flew by. Even in, get this, a traffic jam in WYOMING!

karin said...

Thank you for posting (Jill and Bryan are now harassing me to post and that you beat me in posting). I also am getting a lot of grief for the last time I posted, I am working on it but it is hard to compete with MATT and everyone else for the compputer.

Anonymous said...

Grandpa Cy, Richard and I climbed Rocky Ridge, too. And, that is Karin with the long hair at Charlotte Dansie's grave. I was taking pictures set to the wrong exposure. Did you get any others there?
Fun times. Fun times.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU Emily for posting so many pictures of your family. Otherwise we'd never know what you all look like now. Keep em' coming. And I like Comrade much better than CT. I think I'll stick with that. : )

Also, I was nearly ready to harass Karin for not posting recently, but I see that others are doing my dirty work for me. I thought I was going to have to strip her of her crown.

Ann said...

THAT'S BRAD?? Holy cow, he's all grown up!

I feel a little stupid I didn't recognize my own cousin.

Nannie said...

Such a fun time with the family. We kept a very busy pace and by Thursday Grandpa & I were pooped but then had 2 more fun filled days at Rockport. Everyone needs to plan now for Bear Lake during the 2nd week of August 2007. Em bring your pictures over sometime. I need some copies of a few.