Sunday, August 19, 2007

Honeymoon in Fiji and a New House



So we finally got our honeymoon pictures developed. Yes, it was the honeymoon we took back in May of 2005. Yes, it was only this week we picked them up, right after we got back from Utah. Here they are and I'll throw in some more pictures of the house at the end (all of the stuff in the house is the former owners', we're not moving in until the end of the month).

These are the traditional native dancers in their festive garb.

This guy taught Emily and some other girls to tie their sarong.

This is Emily's boyfriend. He made her the hat she is wearing. I think I'll let her tell most of the story, but while I was out trying to windsurf, this guy's friend came up to her and asked if he could make her a hat (see below). It's just a good thing I got back when I did - I might have had to break his arm or something.







No, this isn't a brochure for Fiji - that's me windsurfing. I should tell you that it was really hard. I ended up getting blown way down the beach and having to walk back. The instructor was drunk I think or something and he wasn't much help. Still, probably worth the $5 I paid.


Here we are on the beach. Emily's favorite part was the crabs.


Fijians bury their dead along the road in their front yard (someone here in NC did that too, near our current apartment, but I don't think they are from Fiji). We took this picture from the open air bus we took to the market.


This is Emily drinking some Kava with the natives. The funny thing is that we had some and then told the missionaries about it. They told us they get sent home if they drink it. We haven't drank any since.



A Fijian horse.
THE HOUSE

Kitchen

Living Room

Back of the house

The Deck

Our little shed and pond.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures of your house don't really do it justice. Also, what's in kava that makes it bad?

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

The pictures are great. Your backyard looks like a great place for a party!

karin said...

How exciting to have Honeymoon photos and relive those precious moments of vacationing alone!

Also, THANK YOU for posting photos of your house. I am totally jealous- I NEED a house!

Ann said...

Love the house- especially the backyard!

Fiji looks awesome. Y'all look giddy with love in those pictures!

AJ said...

Hmmm - the funny thing about Kava is that it's the Kava that's bad. It's merely a ground root with water added to make the drink. I guess it's some kind of natural narcotic or something. I swear I'm off the stuff.

chunkymonkey said...

Con would love the pond and I think the deck is absolutely fab-u! What a good house choice! Way to go!