I took E to the doctor for his 4 month visit this week.
Height: 24.5" (34%)
Weight: 14lb, 8oz (42%)
Head circumference: 17" (75%)
So looks like E is following in his daddy's and brother's footsteps with the BigHeadedness. Anyone know why they measure that, anyway?
E is healthy and wonderful and developing right as he should. He's also very vocal and smiley and giggly. H loves him so much we have to protect him from the love.
Oh, and we're still not getting much sleep. I look a decade older, and I blame it entirely on the 2.3 feedings a night, plus the bonus Wake Up and Scream we celebrate nightly. I am keeping the Dr. Pepper company in business single-handedly.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
They measure the head circumference to make sure that the brain is growing at the correct rate. When they worry that a child's growth is falling off (and believe me I have experience with this) they can look at the circumference and see that the brain is still growing at the correct measurement.
When children are not growing first the weight drops off, then the length drops off and finally the height drops off.
Lucky for us both Caleb and Jacob have maintained a cool 25th percentile for head circumference while they have completely and utterly dropped off for weight and height. So yeah they've got big heads for their size.
Sorry this was such a long explanation, but you asked.
I'm sorry I meant weight, length, and then head, not height.
Max and Renee both had head circumferences in the 90th percentile for a long time. Their bodies have caught up and they look pretty proportional now.
I'm not looking forward to being woken up in the night again for baby feedings. I don't function very well with little sleep. Hopefully, your little guy will start sleeping through the night soon. That is always the point where babies become easier for me. Sleep is good.
I really expected him to have higher percentages all around, because compared to H and Leah, he's positively giant.
I don't know how I'm going to handle the no-sleep thing when we finally buckle down and have kids. I function on 8 hours of sleep and 8 hours only. Oh ya, and an afternoon nap is nice, too...I just glanced over at Stephanie's comment and noticed we're the same when it comes to this. I don't know who you are, Stephanie, but rock on. Keep being your sleep-loving self. It's the only way to be, in my opinion. Emily, you're with me on this one, right?
Sorry about the lack of sleep--it sucks! I'm sure the Dr. Pepper company appreciates the business, though. And the nightly "wake up and scream"--that's gotta be my favorite part of babies. (sigh). Hang in there!
With my most recent baby, the nurse told me the height and weight percentiles but not the head percentile. Then the doctor came in and said, "Do ALL your babies have such ENORMOUS HEADS?" Tactful, Doctor. Tactful.
Post a Comment