Monday, October 05, 2009

New Years, Observed

It turns out that the best holidays usually get celebrated at least twice in my culture. (My culture, in this case, is my little family, the family I grew up with, and the Gang.) For example, we have Fake Thanksgiving every October, Orphan Christmas sometime in December/January, Thanksgiving Day Observed the Friday after TG, etc. I realize that even though I don't stay up until midnight and have any noisemakers beyond my two Full-Time Noisemakers, I have a New Years-ish celebration of sorts twice a year. Rather, I have self reflection and goal making twice a year, spurred by General Conference.

Some of my goals are none of your dang business, I guess, because it is SELF reflection, and sheesh, even though this is the internetz, that doesn't mean I'm hankering to air my not-so-fresh laundry. But I will tell you that something Elder Cook said hit home in a big way: We are accountable to God for our time and our talents. So I plan on being better with that. Also, I plan on getting rid of so many things that are just distractions and not at all beneficial to me & mine.

And I also want you to know that my favorite talks this time around were Elder Oaks on Saturday and Elder Holland on Sunday. I swear I'm naming some children after them.

How bout y'all?

3 comments:

karin said...

I hope to be able to read those talks (as with many others, 3 kids of my own makes it difficult to listen but add 6 more and it is about impossible- okay really just one 17mo made it impossible). I enjoyed Sherry's brother's talk, it was one of the few I got to hear. Did you watch the movie after the Sunday afternoon session?

Momnerd said...

I agree completely! After Holland's talk I haven't been able to stop thinking about missionary work. Wondering if there is some way to reach out in a real way on my blog.

And I want to tell you thanks for your comment. I'm so sorry to hear you are in the same boat. I talked to someone recently who said they had depression until they left the church. I know that our religion does put a lot of pressure on us to be perfect, and we're just not. But I also can't turn my back on what I know to be true.

Best of luck and know that I am here. I know what you're going through! I'm just crazy and decided to share how crazy I am with the world!

Bryce said...

Love you guys!