Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Just a little update

My advisor is approving my draft, then my committee will approve, and hopefully within a few days I can schedule my defense. They insist on 2 weeks between scheduling and actual defense. We are planning on leaving in 3 weeks, so it will be cutting it a bit close. I'm really proud of the work I've done. Likely most of you would be bored to tears by it. I am a statistician, and I'm not blind to our reputation. But when it's approved for publication I'll link to it and you can glance it over if you like. The medical types might enjoy it, and there are a handful of you.

Like I said, moving in 3 weeks. North Carolina, research triangle area. We booked the moving company, so it's really going to happen.

I had my first real OB/GYN appointment today. My doctor was stellar - actually made me excited to be pregnant. (It comes and goes). We got pictures of the little angel, which I'll post just as soon as they're scanned. It really looks kind of baby-ish. The morning sickness isn't as bad this week, but right now I wish I could curl up under my desk with a comforter and a ginger ale.

AJ still doesn't want to be an electrician anymore. But he's getting really cute about the Daddy thing. He was reading magazines at the doctors and tries to help me stop worrying. Sometimes he'll even talk to the baby. And he'll feed me anything at any time.

Oh, and we sold the pretty audi. Woo-hoo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay on the Audi sale! I am excited for your pregnancy, but mostly since I get to play with your baby. I only got to play with one of Ann's babies and I didn't get to play with Em's baby until he was 9 mos. old. Hurray for cute Stewart babies!

Ann said...

I'm excited to take a look at your project, Em, if only to be thoroughly confused at your brilliance!

And where is the "research triangle area" of NC? Near Triangle? Isn't that where you are. Ali?

I'm glad for the good pregnancy news. Hopefully the yuckies will leave for good soon.

Anonymous said...

Research Triangle Park (RTP), is several miles of land of nothing but business parks located where Raleigh and Durham meet. It is where the airport is (RDU), and where Scott and Karen already work. Many large corporations have a big presence in this area, such as IBM, Cisco, and Glaxo-Smith Kline. It is a bit of a tech/bio-tech mecca, which is why there is such an over-representation of highly educated people in this area.

Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are commonly referred to as "The Triangle" because they sort of form a triangle on the map. There are three really big schools here, which also geographically form this so-called "triangle" -- Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and NC State. It's great during March Madness, because all three teams make it to the tournament every year.

But now that I am talking about it, it really makes me think of that sketch on Sesame Street where the old guy with the beard makes the hiker identify "triangles three" before he crosses the bridge. I'm sure Beebe remembers, she and I laughed our kiesters off about that very sketch while hiking through a halloween trail in Provo at a neighboring apartment complex.