Friday, September 29, 2006

A Post on Early Pregnancy

When people ask how I'm feeling, I respond with a chipper "Much better, thanks!" That's because I choose to compare it to the week at the height of my morning sickness that I had the flu on top of it, and my MIL came for her first visit ever and I felt like a crappy hostess because the idea of food made me, uh, uncomfortable.

I want to share with all the friends and family who read this blog how it really feels, as I finish up my first first-trimester. And for posterity, because I don't keep a journal very well anymore. So there you have it.

My stomach is never pleased. The baby hurts me. I try to eat and sleep and exercise like I should for our little angel, but he/she doesn't seem to want to be a part of it at all. Let me share an anecdote from yesterday: I like to do the Crunch Dance Work-0ut dvds. I have 2 of them. Yesterday I selected the cardio one because it's a little shorter than the fat-burning one, and I really like the Island Jam portion of the dvd. It has moves like sunshine hips, chiquita banana, and salt shakers. The dvd is half-hour long. I was waning a bit, and by halfway through, I had to go to the bathroom. It is only 1/2 hour long!! Our last ultrasound did show how squished my bladder was, but PLEASE. Then I tried to resume the workout, but ended up on the couch, flopped listlessly. About an hour later I had built up enough energy to take a shower. Pathetic.

And it doesn't matter what foods I used to like. This fetus has it's own preferences. Lately beef. I try to reason with the fetus because we have to eat down the food we already have since we're moving, and we don't have a side of beef in our freezer. There is no reasoning with the little bundle of joy. Beef.

Plus I visit teach a puerto rican woman, who generally is pleasant to be around. But the latin culture can be cruel. Evidently I look twice as far along as I am, and my butt is getting huge. I managed not to cry until I was safely home. Poor AJ. In many ways I think he has it worse than I do!

6 comments:

Heather said...

oh em...poor dear! It will get better. I remember with my first when I was about a week into the 2nd trimester I really felt like a new woman and my energy was back (along with my appitite!)

Can't wait to find out lil' sprouts gender!

Anonymous said...

I have to see these exercise DVDs when you get here. I am sorry you feel like poop. We'll help you feel better upon your arrival. : )

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, the pumpkin ralphing is GREAT!

Ann said...

Remember when Beebe was sad when she wasn't getting pregnant and then when she finally did get pregnant she kept saying "Why didn't anyone tell me what this was like?! I don't like being pregnant!"

It gets better. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if your thesis defense is this week or not, but if it is GOOD LUCK!

Karen B said...

Is that what you want to dress up as for Halloween? I think it would be a lovely costume.