Last Friday I defended my master's project and it was a smashing success. My committee loved my research, was impressed with my innovation and presentation, and all wanted to marry me after it was done. I have to make a few changes in the writing, resubmit it to my advisor, get signatures from the committee and send it to be published. The bad stuff is over!
Saturday the movers came, and we stayed at Nielsons for the weekend, then bright and early (4:30am) on Monday we left for the airport. We spent Monday in Chicago with AJ's sister, brother, sister-in-law, and nephew. Great people all around, and wonderful hosts/esses. I got to eat Gino's East pizza, which I had been craving since I last ate it in 2003. Tuesday morning we flew to Philly to pick up our car and some cheesesteaks. We did a test, and Pat's is better than Geno's, but Geno's has a better environment. Even though they're across the street from each other and outdoor dining only. There's a difference.
By late Tuesday night we arrived at Marci & Carlos's just outside of DC. Marci and I went to school together and she's one of those you always want to stay in touch with - she's an absolute hoot. Carlos is nice, too. :)
Then we drove to Cary, North Carolina. Arriving in the town was magical to me. I about wet my pants with joy. For you non-statisticians, Cary is the home of SAS. I use SAS for most of my analyses. I really love it. The graphics' defaults aren't as nice as R's, but dataset cleanup and big analyses I wouldn't dream of doing elsewhere.
Then we got to Karen Yeagley B's house. Ali & Karen came out & greeted us, we met Dave and Cousin Liz, and we were instantly at home. I am going to shamelessly plug North Carolina at this point. We could not have moved to a better place. Karen gave us a place to live indefinitely, Cousin Liz loaned us her car while ours was in the shop, and I can't even begin to describe how helpful Ali has been.
It took us one day to find a great apartment overlooking Lake Lynn, and one more day to sign the lease and get in. I have a phone interview with Quintiles on Tuesday, and I like that company. Yesterday we took the 2 1/2 mile walk around the lake. The ducks are my favorites because when they quack they sound like they're laughing at somebody. And the turtles were cute, too. And I'm learning to be better about squirrels.
Here's the big event that I've been saving to the end: Fake Thanksgiving and Graduation Ceremony. I have photos, but I'm currently posting from the public library, since our internet won't be hooked up until Thursday. Photos will follow. Amazing meal, wonderful new friends, and truly inspiring speeches. This morning I woke up thinking about Jodie Foster quoting Eminem. It was SO much fun. And then we got sent home with leftovers and a microwave. (Our stuff will arrive this weekend.)
I realize that's an action-packed post, but we've been pretty busy. Keep in touch. And if you think I don't have your home address, give it to me, because I'm going to send out our new address and phone number (cell will still work, not to worry, we've decided to get a land-line as well).
Love from the Tarheel State!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
YEAH! I hope this move stays GREAT!
It's all such great news! I'm glad everything is working out the way you planned it.
By the way... What is a tarheel?
Here's your answer Ann: "The University [UNC Chapel Hill] not only uses the nickname "Tar Heels," but the entire state does as well. One version of the nickname's origin has the name first being applied to North Carolinians during the Civil War. One record talks of a battle in Virginia, where their supporting column retreated, but North Carolina troops fought alone. The victorious troops were asked in a condescending tone by some Virginians, who had retreated, "Any more tar down in the Old North State, boys?" The response came quickly: "No, not a bit; old Jeff's bought it all up." The Virginians asked: "Is that so? What is he going to do with it?" The reply: "He is going to put it on you'ns heels to make you stick better in the next fight."
Oh yeah... Go Heels! Yes, I am Carolina blue and a state resident.
awww... you think I'm a hoot - that may be the nicest thing anyone's written about me... (I'm glad you want to stay in touch :)
Let's not forget the little people whom are all still sad at your departure and wished we'd have had you two over a whole lot more. (at this point picture me with a fake swipe of a tear, a little dab)No, we really wish you guys the best. Love you!
Post a Comment