Sunday, February 04, 2007

Learning Empathy

Yesterday AJ and I went to a baby safety presentation thing that turned out to be a sales pitch, and the free gift at the end was kind of lame. We did pick up on a few things, though. You know, good things to look for in cribs and highchairs and whatnot. And the guy mentioned something about sometimes a baby is just crying because his tummy hurts and there's no magic cure, you just have to walk the floor with him for hours.

And that's when I realized it: all these horrible pregnancy symptoms are training me to understand the -derstandable. Infants. I have reverted to infanthood. I can't sleep all the way through the night. A hurty tummy makes me cry. I cry a lot, and 9 times out of 10 it isn't that anyone did anything wrong or there's any way to fix it. I have terrible balance and difficulty walking. Rolling over is hard! Mostly all I want is sleep, food, to be held, and to go to the bathroom. I spill things and drop things a lot more than regular adults. I have Boogers Like You Wouldn't Believe. My short term memory is like a goldfish's.

This pregnancy business had better pay off. Not only do I want a fantastic baby, I want the lessons to be learned from this trial. My plan then, is to be a patient and wonderful mother, because now I know what it's like. Quit laughing, you jerky know-it-all already mothers. Oh, I get cranky a lot, too.

7 comments:

Ann said...

I *was* laughing when I read "quit laughing all you know-it-all mothers". Not that I know it all, but it was left over laughing from the Boogers Like You Wouldn't Believe and the rolling difficulties!

Glad you found a silver lining.

Anonymous said...

Oh M, I am snickering a bit. hmmm..tell you what. When it gets hard to be a patient wonderful mother I promise to be there to answer any questions you have and to let you cry on my shoulder.

I will also try really hard to refrain from giving unsolicted advice.

karin said...

What were they trying to sell you?

Because of the little memory and because of the new things you will be experiencing, you will forget these things until a current prego reminds you.
See you are learning how to be a great mom already; you are mothering yourself (just after the fact).

karin said...

Call me sometime before 2pm (my time) tomorrow. Remember you called me but I didn't call back because it was too late. I was going to call tonight but, again, too late.

Anonymous said...

You are always saying how you cry all the time, yet I have only seen you cry once since you moved here (for Charlotte's Web). I see you all the time, am I just not looking closely enough at your eyes?

Chelle / Chel said...

Pregnancy is definitely a practice for real babyhood.

Can't wait for your boy to be born. I'm still voting for "Hyrum". ;)

Email me and I'll tell you why. LOL

Chelle

Ann said...

I just have to tell you: I've read this post about 20 times because I love it so much! My favorite parts include, but are not limited to:
1. derstandable
2. a hurty tummy makes me cry (I think that line now whenever Evan is crying!)
3. short term memory like a goldfish
4. jerky know-it-all mothers