Wednesday, February 28, 2007

New York, New York!

This little guy, Basil, is the only kid that got to come to all the funeral festivities. I thought he'd be bored out of his head, but he managed to entertain himself pretty well.
I wish we had more group shots, but this is the best I can do. There's Uncle Mike, I think Uncle Ali from the back (but there are a lot of uncles with flowy gray hair), cousin Corrine, cousin Diana, not really sure. Nice people, all.
This is the Van Vorst side. Uncle Dave, Aunt Barbara and their kin. Cousin Mark actually lives in SLC, so we were able to have a decent sized chat with him. Turns out it was tricky to find things in common with a lot of the crowd. I think usually in these situations you focus on the deceased, but since I never met her and AJ barely knew her . . .
Hey, at least people like to talk about babies.

Here I am with my old mission companion, Carlynne. She lives in Harlem and is one of my favorite people in the world. We got to spend most of a day together. All our plans didn't really work out, but we managed to have a great time anyway. A Little Chinatown wandering, including an emergency bathroom trip for me, catching up in the Marriott lobby while AJ got the car. Before that, losing the ticket lottery TWICE. Eating in Little Italy, stuff like that. It was great!


Here's AJ and me in Chinatown. One of the lessons of this trip is do not try to drive in Chinatown on the last day of the Chinese New Year celebration.


Here I am, looking all cute and pregnant in front of a billboard of really old naked women. It was too funny not to capture by photo, decency be danged!On our way back we stopped in DC because I can't sit in a car that long anymore. Here's AJ in front of the Capitol Building. You may notice his feet aren't going down into the snow, and some little kid is sliding on it. Hard and slick as ice, this snow in the East. Since my balance isn't that stellar to begin with, I stayed off it. But isn't AJ so precious in this picture??
What I can't believe we don't have pictures of is us with our friends the Stevensons. Clint and Andrea are both friends of mine from school, and they now live in New Jersey with their adorable and fantastic and well-behaved little boy Elijah. Andrea is the same amount pregnant as I am. They let us stay with them the whole time we were up there, and it was a blast! The only problem is we all stayed up way too late talking every night. Elijah was so fun, I think especially for AJ. Elijah likes escalators, doggies, and birdies. And cold white hot chocolate. And jumping. And gum.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really wish I could have gone on your trip, except for all the snow. That is the only thing that makes me glad I didn't go. You're companion is adorable. Like a little elfin girl.

Also, I need your list!!!

karin said...

Glad you had a great time. But especially happy you have posted more prego photos of yourself. I really like the picture of you and AJ together. Bryan and I really don't have that many pictures of us together, it makes me sad BUT you have that one that is FABULOUS!

Anonymous said...

you look so much like your mom! Despite the sadness of a funeral it looks like you had a good time!

Ann said...

I love the pregnant pictures-- makes it more real for the rest of us, you know!

I know you're uncomfortable, hang in there. You're "almost there" (ha, ha, I know 40 days and 40 nights is a long, long time!) You know, that's why you're able to love the little guy from the first second you see him. You've already sacrificed a lot for him and isn't service the way we learn to love people?

shauni said...

It looks like you had a great trip! And you look great! You're a very cute pregnant person. You're brave to go on a road trip while you are pregnant- what a great way to make yourself even more uncomfortable! It looks like you survived and all the discomfort will be worth it!

Anonymous said...

Precious? Okay, okay, he's precious.