Thursday, July 12, 2007

Talk About Moxie

Here's what I emailed today to the founder, President, and CEO of my company, which happens to have over 17K employees and is a Fortune 500 company. It was my first direct contact with him ever:
From: Emily Righter
Sent: 07/12/2007 10:50 AM
To: Dennis Gillings
Subject: Lunch on Friday
Dear Dennis Gillings,
A colleague and I were discussing whether or not the Global Marketing contest winners were selected at random, and I said "Of course they are, the president of the company is one of us!" (a statistician). He disagreed that you really are one of us because of the obvious position difference, and cited the fact that you've never attended one of our Friday lunches. I countered that you've never been invited, so I'd like to invite you to attend lunch with us. Each Friday one of us chooses a place to eat. This week it is Rub's Smokehouse, a BBQ joint just a bit down the road. We're meeting at 11:10 outside the Bradford southwest entrance to carpool, or you can meet us there around 11:25. I understand if you can't take the time because I imagine you're quite busy, but I just wanted to extend a friendly invitation.

Emily S. Righter
Biostatistician I
Quintiles, Inc (QRTP)
5927 South Miami Blvd.
Morrisville, NC 27560-8396
Phone: etc.

Here is his response! In less than an hour!
Emily,
I would love to attend one of your lunches. The first Friday I would be able to attend is Aug 3. Does that work?
In fact I am presenting a paper next week in York, UK to the Royal Statistical Society with Andy Garrett and so we could include that in our discussions.
Best wishes
Dennis
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

Isn't that awesome? I'm going to have sushi with the CEO!

6 comments:

karin said...

WOW! I am impressed, I don't think I could do that. I need to go plus I am talking to you and having a hard time thinking of something to say to you and write a comment.

Anonymous said...

Wow Emily! That's awesome, I'd say he is definitely "one of you". I see big promotions in your future.

oh, BTW- about talking about work on your blog, have you heard of this?

Anonymous said...

Of course my girl Emily would do that. You definitely win for gutsiest move at work. I have some fun stories to tell you later about the CEO of my old company, also Fortune 500.

chunkymonkey said...

WTG! I may have made that one up. It means Way To Go. I also tried to get Jill to use up another one I made up at Girl's Camp: LTSF, Lets Talk Soon Friend, but she didn't.

So, WTG! I like that you reached out and were friendly to someone, even though he is a higher up. Maybe it is lonely up there. Then again, maybe not. Still, it sounds like he is ready to discuss some very statisticlly things.

Karen B said...

You are my hero but also it is a little scary. When you go to lunch with coworkers you mostly complain about others and your work. How do you complain to the CEO? Have you started thinking about safe topics of conversation? How about...

1. Crackers, the best brand and why.
2. The recently released richest teens list and does Harry Potter really deserve to be that rich just for entertaining us and how is Hillary Duff on the list since I don't know anyone who watches or buys anything she has out.
3. Why do you always see Hummers driving around but never see them at the gas station.
4. Who will win in the Age of Love, a cougar or a kitten.
5. If you were banished to an island for life and could only take one book (not the Bible) what would you take and why? Does this include a series or just one novel? Variations of this topic can include novels.
6. Hyrum. Kelly Ripa and Kathie Lee made careers out of talking about their kids. Make sure to have many pictures handy. This topic may result in the CEO never accepting an invitation from you ever again.
7. Security. We already know I have breached it. You could also tell him about my dream where he died and his corpse was in a mosoleum in the front yard at Quintiles.

Ann said...

I'm sittting in the library laughing out loud at your moxie and more laughing at Karen's comment. The people on the surrounding computers must think I'm a little looney.

You are extremely brave. Are you accepting his lunch on Aug 3 or will you be traveling to Utah by then? You've got to keep us posted.