Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Ascetic for a Day. Kind of.

This morning AJ said, "It's quarter to 8," and I responded, "But I don't want to go to work today! Ugh, fine. Please remember the car seat."
So he switched the car seat over to our little car, I got up and got ready, and as soon as H got up, we hustled out the door. No, almost. what really happened is I told H "Drink your milk and I'll load up the car." I grabbed the diaper bag and looked for my purse on the hook I always hang it, but my purse wasn't there. So I thought. And thought.
Then I remembered that last night we ran some errands as a family in the minivan and one of the cool features of the minivan is the center console, which folds down. So I had placed my purse under the console, because then it couldn't be seen from outside and I didn't have to haul it around. And I left it there. And AJ had already left for work. In the minivan. So I had no phone, no keys, no driver license, no money. Staying and enjoying the day with my son crossed my mind, but so did the ensuing meeting with my manager if I failed to tell her I wasn't coming in.
Anyway, I was able to contact AJ, and he told me where the spare key to the car was. I was running late, obviously, by this point, and I was hungry. I ate 2 of H's animal crackers and grabbed the change jar on top of the fridge (per AJ's suggestion).
That's it. That's all I left home with: a spare key and a pickle jar of change. And the baby, of course, safely in his car seat.
I dropped off H and went to work. I had to go in the main entrance and be allowed in by security because of my lack of badge. I borrowed my work-husband's badge to go to the cafetorium for some breakfast. After I had ordered my omelet, I looked over and discovered there weren't any chocolate milks in the fridge. I do not eat eggs without chocolate milk. I went to the cashier with a desperately pregnant look on my face and asked "Is there any chocolate milk somewhere else?" Sure enough, there was. He went and got it and I was so grateful, even if the people trying to pay for their breakfasts weren't as grateful.
Then Shaun the Griller finished my delicious omelet, and I went to pay. With change from a pickle jar. Poor cashier. He's a sweet fella, I should have tipped him.
For lunch I met the Yeagleys and babies for sushi. It was great, and Karen covered me. We should never have taken those 22 years off. Coming back, I bypassed security and knocked on my work-husband's window cube so he would let me in. He told me to earlier, but I still felt pretty lame. I think next time I'll continue to go through security. Except that this will never happen again.
Lastly, I am nearly out of gas. Rather, my car is. I think I can make it to Karen's then home, but I do still have plenty in that pickle jar. And if they want to charge me over $4/gallon, then they can be ready to take pennies & nickles, because I'm saving the quarters for the cafetorium, vending machines, and AJ's gumball habit.
The End.

8 comments:

karin said...

You mean 2 animal crackers didn't hold your pregnant self over all day!? (As I type that I am eating my second meal of the day which is leftover Chicken Enchilada Bake- YUM)

Heather said...

oh em, i've always loved how you can turn a negative into a funny positive! hee hee, may tomorrow bring you a full tank of gas a full tummy and lots of keys!

Anonymous said...

As I said earlier today, none of this story surprises me. I'm glad you posted it. The internet needed to know.

CP said...

Totally hysterical (now that it is over) day!

I too have a work-husband, actually 2. And many more that are more like work-husbands in that I swear to God I have to mother them all day or they would fall to pieces.

Thanks for entering our PIF contest v2.0. Is it too weird that I hope I win one and have to have a v3.0?

Rowdy Family said...

Emama! Its Celeste.
I am glad you survived. At least you have a pregnant excuse for forgetting. and I would say eating eggs with chocolate milk! but I am pretty sure that comes with or without the beh-beh.
love you! (and your blog thoughts)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to check you out - seeing as how I just landed on your profile, and it sounds much like mine! My husband is a grad student - UNC - and I am supporting him and waiting with bated breath til he graduates, and we had a baby in April! But a full year after your baby was born. SO anyhoo, I sort of skimmed here and there and I will be back when I have more time! :)

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see a pregnant woman carrying around a pickle jar full of change.

When I was pregnant with #2, I really wanted a chocolate-banana milkshake from Steak n' Shake and a huge burger with everything on it. So I sent Brad through the drive through. He came home with the milk shake and a paper bag. I opened the bag to find an absolutely plain hamburger, just meat and bread. I was so angry I called them and chewed them out, saying "you do NOT do this to a pregnant woman!!!" They offered me free food vouchers and I told them where they could put their vouchers.

chunkymonkey said...

There are those days that make you want to spit. And then there are days that make you want to laugh. Thank-goodness for pickle jars. All my change goes in Con's tiger-its not a lot, but that is where it goes. I have started trying to put a little cash in a secret stash, for in an emergency or what not, but we keep using it instead of stopping by the ATM.