Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Solid Gold Minivan

Okay, the day after we got home from Colorado, AJ and I were carpooling and he picked me up from work and the car was acting up. Then it just stopped. On the freeway. Conveniently by the airport, though. So we walked in the nasty heat to the car rental area. We asked around and called around and the cheapest we could get was $70/day. Are you kidding me?
So we called Karen, (who also had been watching H that day), and she picked us up and we went car shopping.
Next day, I get on priceline.com and got a rental car for $19/day. We car shop that evening as well.
And the next day.
Finally, on Friday, AJ and I found our dream car. Surprisingly, it's not a Delorian. It's a Honda Odyssey. Certified used, and solid gold.
Shiny. Pretty.
Beautiful leather interior (easy to clean!), captains chairs that can be moved together.
Stroller fits conveniently in the back, with plenty of room to spare.
Nice booty.

I never saw myself as the minivan type. You know, with mompants and sippy cups everywhere. A little frumpy, maybe, wearing curlers to the grocery store at 2pm. (And I apologize to the minivan moms that I know - I really never thought of YOU in this way.)
AJ, on the other hand, has long considered minivans to be at the same cool-level as The Batmobile. No, seriously.
But I have come around. I love this new car of mine. You will, too, when I come to pick you up from the airport and all your luggage fits so easily and you have complete rear A/C control and plenty of cup holders and sliding doors that open on their own (on your command, of course).

8 comments:

Heather said...

i'm green with envy! aaron says no mini-van until we NEED it. 2 car seats fit fine in my car he tells me...3 however won't.

Anonymous said...

Nice plug to "encourage" people to visit. I second your encouragement.

Kristy said...

Nice! This makes me even more anxious to come visit. Seriously!

karin said...

I am glad you finally posted a real posting! SOLID!

Cynthiana said...

While I hate to sing the praises of a minivan, they come in handy when relatives visit. Our van bit the dust back in April and we've been driving a 4 passenger small car. When my mother in law visits Dave and I will have to flip a coin to see who rides in the back squeezed between the kids. So, I think your van is awesome!

Ann said...

Niiiiccee! Solid Gold!
I am also a minivan lover, for the conviences, of course. Yours is way nicer, though.

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

so funny that you bought a van...so did we! I will be posting about it very soon! We really are great friends, we even by cars together!

Swistle said...

Oh, man, that's a beaut.

I lurvvvvve our minivan. We used a sedan while we only had two kids, but bought the minivan when I was expecting the twins---and I love it so much, I would accept its proposal without needing to "think it over" first.