Thursday, August 14, 2008

Help. Please! HELP!

Remember how I've mentioned briefly about H going on a sleep strike? I need solutions. Fast. Here's what he did last night:
  • Put him to bed at 7:30 as usual. Cried and screamed and carried on until about 9:45. Fell asleep.
  • He awoke at 4am. After continuous hollering and crying, AJ went in to him at 5am. At 6am he went back to sleep. At that point I couldn't sleep so I got up and got ready and I went back to bed at 7:30 hoping he had a few more hours in him.
  • He got up for permanents at 8am.

Remember how this pregnancy has made me all forgetful and stuff? This whole no sleep thing isn't helping. I don't want to rely on benadryl. His runny nose is all but dried up today anyway.

We went with the cry it out method at 11 months. I finally gave in when the first trimester was kicking my pants. It only took a few days and he slept like a pro until recently. But this is not nearly so smooth. I'm wondering if he's too old for it now.

I love H with all my heart. He is the cutest and sweetest boy ever. I have to remind myself of that today though. As far as truly important things in this life go, I subscribe to all the classics, but Sleep is definitely on the list. I want to be a nice girl and a good mom and I can't do it without sleep. Please help.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm no expert, but here are things I look at:
-Is he teething? Some orajel or tylenol might be in order.
-Is he getting enough to eat at dinner? Maybe he needs a bedtime snack to tide him over.
-Is he cold/hot? The weather is changing here and the temp is always different.

I don't know, it's always hard when the kiddies do that!

Darla said...

Oh I totally understand the not sleeping causing problems with mama. LOL

I don't know but I would guess if he is getting over a cold he's in a bad sleep habit at the moment.

I might move his bedtime to 8:00 and see if that helps?

Mim said...

How many naps is he getting every day? If he has two, he is close to the age where you might need to drop one, to have him continue to sleep. Additionally is light coming in the window? Is there some noise at 4:00 am that could be waking him up?

Is he overtired? If he is that might make him wake up too early. I'd also think about health issues.

I really like the Ferber sleeping book. It has lots of trouble shooting stuff, that you can see and use to get him back on schedule. Good luck!

Heather said...

yes, if he is still taking 2 naps- drop it to one. If he is taking one nap, cut it short. Wake him after an hour and a half- oh and don't let him sleep past 3:30pm, for whatever reason that is the magic hour for my kids. if they napped after 3:30pm I could expect them awake until 10pm. If you roust him from his nap early you may have some serious wrath to deal with, so prepare for an hour or so before he returns to the happy H you know he is.

If all else fails- just breath! this too shall pass (just not as fast as you want it to).

Taliatha said...

Two steps forward one step back. I bet he'll get back to sleeping well before too long.
P.S. I just got this link, so now I can stalk your blog as promised

Anonymous said...

You might try putting him to bed later. My kids sleep about 9:30PM-7:00AM and take a nap in the afternoon, 2-4. I know most people stop the afternoon nap around age 2, but I see no reason to stop personally. Mine are still napping strong at 3 and 5 years of age.

Do you have a bedtime routine? We do the same thing at both nap and bedtime: read two stories and sing a song. The same exact song every time. That song is Pavlovian now, sing the first line and they yawn.

As for the forgetfulness, try taking fish oil. I pretty much lost my head with the first two. This time I've been taking fish oil throughout and no forgetfulness. I think it's because the baby sucks up all your essential fatty acids in the last couple months for brain development.

Ann said...

Lots of good advice already, Emily. I'm of the "overtired" camp where I think if the kid is too tired, it's worse than if he had too many naps. Make sure he gets one everyday, at the same-ish time.

Drew and I were battling about sleeping right before Dean was born, so I totally hear you. Pie saved the day when he suggested taking him for a ride in the car. He always fell asleep and usually stayed asleep during the transfer to his bed. It might be a short-term solution for you.

karin said...

Ditto to Ann (well and everyone else).

Call me for more of my opinion.

chunkymonkey said...

I am the Wrong person to offer advise on sleeping childrens. I have resorted to bringing the carseat in Again. And no sugar before naps. And physically turning off the computer. And running Con ragged--a park a day, run, run, run. And still, no guarentees. Arrggh!

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing teething too.