Sunday, January 07, 2007

Maybe John?

We've been working hard to come up with a great name for our little fella. We only have 3 more months after all, until his big debut. AJ's big criterion is the name has to be meaningful. I want something classic but not over done. And meaningful is a good thing, too. Currently we're leaning toward Caleb. Read the old testament - he's neat. Of all the people to go into the wilderness with Moses, 40 years later only 2 came out, and one of them was Caleb. That's saying something.

But I'm not entirely sold on it yet. It's our favorite option so far, but we're still open to other names. If you want to suggest something, now's your chance.

Here's the other issue. I want the name to fit him, and I thought, surely we can't know what fits until at least he's popped out. I was wrong. He's very responsive to the Spirit. It started with intermediate hymns at church and going out with the missionaries, then going to the temple, and today when AJ confirmed Carmen - he goes NUTS. Kicking and squirming like nobody's business. So maybe John, or Baptista, or something like that.

Oh, it's also important to me that it's a name he can put at the top of his resume without being embarrassed.

Share your thoughts, please!

9 comments:

Ann said...

For what it's worth, you have my vote for Caleb. I love that name, and it sounds great with Righter. I think if you're going to do Baptista, you should stick it in the middle.

Good luck. I think choosing a name is so difficult. It's so permanent!

Anonymous said...

While Phil and I were driving to Virginia, we thought you should consider Dabnis.

shauni said...

I like both Caleb and John. You can never go wrong with a good scriptural name. I have to agree with Ann- nix the Baptista.

Chelle / Chel said...

Hyrum is an awesome name and fits all your criteria - in my book anyway.

Chelle

Unknown said...

I LOVE Hyrum! But would Hy-Ri be an issue?

Chelle / Chel said...

I don't think Hy-Ri would be an issue. The boy I know named Hyrum is sometimes called Hy, and he doesn't seem to mind. He loves being named Hyrum and loves where the name comes from. It's an honorable name, even if people shorten it to Hy, and even if they add Ri on the end. ;)

Chelle

Anonymous said...

My vote is for Steven. I mean, its scriptural, plus it is the name of your most favorite boy in Salt Lake that you didn't marry. What could have more meaning than that?

Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry, I didn't sign that last post. My bad

Anonymous said...

Dear AJ and Emily
One of my greatgrandsons is called Zion. We think that is a cool name. I am pleased to hear your news. I will get around to emailing you back later, keep me on your mailing list it is lovely to hear from you both. I've never heard of a couch warming party, what fun. love and best wishes Lorrie Odgers Opawa Ward New Zealand