Today is my first snow day. It snowed all the time when I was living in Utah and in Washington State, so nobody made a big deal out of it. Evidently, we don't often get even one snowfall a year in North Carolina. All the schools in the surrounding counties have been closed for the day. AJ called me on his way to work to warn me about driving and advised me to wait a few hours before going in. Accidents all over the place. One happened right in front of him as he was on the phone with me! You see, generally I don't like to judge drivers by their states. I've always felt that there's a driving culture everywhere you go, and if you're not adhering to the culture, maybe you're the bad driver. Californians are great for dealing with high traffic for example. Utahns tend to maintain a discrete-normal distribution across lanes of highway, where everyone stays in the middle lane unless there's a reason to be elsewhere. North Carolinians, it would seem, like to slam on brakes and cut people off, and generally not anticipate while on the road. That's been my observation after a few months here, anyway. Not everyone, but enough that I don't really enjoy driving here. Of course, I'm also pregnant and overly sensitive, so take that with a grain of salt.So when AJ called, I said, okay, and went back to bed, which is what I wanted to do anyway. (It's what I want pretty much every day.) Then I got up, thinking, wow, I'm chilly! So I cranked up the heater, loaded on the layers and drank some delicious peppermint ho-cho. Of course, then I got too hot, shedded the layers, shut off the heat and lounged for a little bit on my comfy & fantastic sofa.
The roads are probably fine by now (it's noon), but gosh, what if they aren't?! Maybe I'll just stay home today, you know, for safety's sake. :)
6 comments:
For safety sake is right! No one can drive in snow here, so other drivers are the danger. Hopefully everything will be melted by 3:30 when I have to leave.
Thank you for calling me and finally posting again.
I'm so glad you added Fetey watch. It's so fun.
Also, he had more brain cells than Paris and Nicky around week four. Bean and Casey have more brain cells than those two.
YAY for snow! I'm glad you don't actually have to go out in it, and you can just enjoy the beauty from inside where it's warm & comfy.
Cute baby bar up there at the top of your blog!
Cute baby chart! You are so techno! Let me tell you that NoCals don't drive like SoCals and that SoCals don't drive in the snow either. That is why I am here in Rancho instead of SanFran and Roseville. The Grapevine got a little snow, cars were ushered out of the pass and the 5 was shut down right before Con and I tried to drive through it. We are such whiners about the cold! Also, I like that you say "we" about NC. You have assimilated already! Way to go!
Sorry I made you go to work today in the potentially deadly freezing rain. I work with all Northerners and they don't believe all the hype about the snow. EVERYONE showed up on the snow day.
Post a Comment