Friday, May 11, 2007

Lost Raisins and Sleep Aids

H lost his raisin today (the umbilical cord stump). What's kind of funny is we actually lost it. It was hanging by a thread for one diaper change, and the next it was gone. I suppose it could have worked its way down into his diaper (I didn't scour the contents) and I chucked it. It's really fine. I wasn't going to make a necklace for AJ out of it anyway. I guess.

Two items have recently made my life better: 1. a giant swaddling blanket that our Baby Houdini has a harder time escaping from. With his arms pinned down he doesn't startle himself awake as frequently and can go for about 2 hours during the day and sometimes 4 hours at night! 2. a borrowed infant swing. H loves it. So I love it. It lulls him into a nice nap almost as well as my holding and bouncing him. And that means I have a better chance at a nap.

In news unrelated to our new baby, Karen posted again. Since it's the first time in like 5 months, I thought I'd mention it. The next time she posts may be when Big Orange Baby graduates from college.



Here is H as "Disco Baby":

7 comments:

chunkymonkey said...

I love all those gadgets that help baby stay asleep. Thank-you to whoever invented them! Another one I love is that big oversized excercise ball, aka the birthing ball. When you get tired of walking, if baby doesn't like just rocking, bouncing on the ball tricks him into thinking you are still walking and you can just sit, bounce, and watch that late broadcast of Opera. And daddy can do it just as well as, if not better than, you. Best $15 I ever spent!

Unknown said...

Ooh, I have one of those already! Cool.

And I found the stump on the floor. Sick.

Anonymous said...

Ewww! And hooray for any sleep that you get. We'll make sure you get some on Sunday. By the way. Gilmore party at Phil's Tuesday night for the series finale. I hope Beebe's flight gets in early enough.

Karen B said...

One time we had a pet parakeet and it got out of the cage and the cat ate it and we couldn't find any evidence of it. Not even feathers. Then, a couple years later we were moving and we found the feet under our bed and we knew it was from the parakeet because it still had his id bracelet on. That may be what happens to Hyrum's raisin. When you move you will find it under your couch or in some random box that you were walking past one day. Did you see the list I posted for AJ in the comments on your last blog? I want him to be prepared.

Ann said...

I'm glad sleep is coming your way. New mommies need a break now and then.

I'm glad you weren't planning on saving the raisen. Even I'm not that hippie.

Karen- that parakeet story is gross. Just gross.

karin said...

I think that Disco Baby is CUTE! Are his legs that skinny or are the pants that wide? Glad you are finding ways to get more sleep, maybe we could actually talk to each other.

I missed last Tuesday's Gilmore Girls, thanks KTLA for announcing the news about a huge fire.

Unknown said...

Hey, Karin, his legs are a little scrawny still, but he just bends them up inside his pants a lot of the time. He is normally proportioned, not to worry.

And Karen, that is pretty gross.