Today (hopefully) marks my first day on short-term disability leave, otherwise known as STD leave. I still haven't heard back from Gary or Jerry to confirm, but the ball is rolling. (And the big boss's name is Terry, and Sherry is also a big-wig. If I wanted to go anywhere in this company, I might change my name to Mary.) Now, don't worry, being disabled doesn't mean I'm bed-ridden or that there's anything wrong with the baby. It only means it's too hard for me to go regularly to work because I'm just not as good at being pregnant as some of my heartier sisters. Sitting for very long really hurts a lot, some days walking is nigh unto impossible, that sort of thing. No big deal.
But since I am at home and determined not to waste these precious last few weeks where I call the shots (my mom says they'll be the last for 20 years or so), my nesting instinct has really kicked in. I can't do anything crazy like bend over, but I sure do enjoy the short walk to the dumpster. So I'm going through my old school folders and throwing out just about everything. It turns out in the real world, nobody cares about an UMVUE or how to determine if a statistic is jointly sufficient. And if anyone does care, I guess I can look it up in one of my textbooks that I am hanging onto. My notes are really not that illuminating. I'm tempted to go through AJ's stuff and throw out anything that looks dumb or extraneous, but my willpower is strong enough (for now) to limit me to my own junk. Seriously, that hat, though . . . it makes me want to cry or scream. I thought they were stupid looking in high school, and he STILL HAS IT.
I also emailed some craigslist folk about lateral file cabinets. What we oughtn't throw away we are going to organize. I am on a roll! Sure hope this lasts more than an hour or so. I'm not really known for my long attention span. Still, for being "disabled" I sure feel able!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
hmm, I think you should take up knitting. Think of all the cute little things you can make for the little one!
Oh, and have you thought about prenatal yoga? It helped me a lot with my second pregnancy. They taught some poses that were very helpful when I was uncomfortable.
Good job on throwing stuff out. I throw out some of Bryan's stuff everytime we move and sometimes I throw it out before then (sometimes he doesn't even open mail and I used to move it from one place to another hoping he would open it and take care of it, now I open it and trash it).
Mary,
It was lovely talking to you today. I'm looking forward to those pictures you promised!
Perhaps you want to come nest at my house. FYI... I think I might be making pies tomorrow with Scott's grandfather. That means pie Sunday may extend to us on game night.
Harry, Perry, Barry, Kari, Larry...
(sorry)
Emily and AJ-
I finally found your blog! Aren't you proud. I have enjoyed it thus far. Also- congrats on NC State. Why didn't you say anything the other night? Maybe you did and I wasn't listening...that would be just like me.
I love the lightning and need to schedule some more visits down to Fayetteville. There are so many places I need new lighting! Have a great day!
I keep checking ... can't wait to "meet" your new guy!
Thinkin about you guys!
Chelle
Post a Comment