Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Conference Weekend

I love conference weekend. Church at home (Pajama Church, as it is known by some) is nice, plus you always know you're in for some really good talks & music. I also have fond memories of conference breakfast of crepes at Mom & Dad's house, or of attending conference in both the tabernacle and the conference center, and I know I am completely spoiled for having had such great experiences.


This year, having only an antenna and some pretty C-R-A-P-P-Y reception, we were unable to watch from the comfort of our own home. Going to church to watch was a bit of a last resort, since sitting in a pew for even one hour is a bit much for me anymore. Fortunately, we have friends.


Saturday we made plans to go out to Fayetteville to watch with Liz, Reed, & kids (Reed is back from Afghanistan for a few months, and gosh, we're glad to have him!) and then AJ could do little electrical projects on their house between sessions. It's fun to be around people with little kids to get a glimpse of the future. Three year olds are manipulative and don't give adults much credit, but are tons more mature and trustworthy than their 18 month old little brothers. I guess the main lesson learned is get a fenced in back yard.


My favorite talk of Saturday was Elder Holland's about words. Here we are, these professed saints, trying to be good and all, but we say mean and hurtful things, particularly to people with whom relationships should matter the most. Whining and gossiping and things like that are not the sorts of things we should be taking any part in.


Sunday we went over to Ali's to watch. I really loved Elder Eyring's talk on service. That one totally shouted my name, as well as the multitude of forgiveness talks. One of the great things about General Conference is that it is more New Yearsy to me than January. No fireworks or noise-makers, but big opportunity for introspection and adjustment. We also had delicious taco salad at Ali's, and our usual Sunday game night at the Bell's house after. (The Bells are Karen Yeagley, husband Dave, and Cousin Liz, for those who aren't here and try desperately to mentally organize my friends and life as you read this blog.)


Anyway, I had a really super weekend, even if it was a bit more exhausting because I did so much more than usual. Even though that "so much more" involved a lot of couch sitting.


What were your favorite bits of conference?

6 comments:

shauni said...

I liked the talk in the Sunday morning session that was on forgiveness. (He talked about the Omish and the guy who was killed by a drunk driver). Because I could only listen to conference on the internet and didn't get the visual part (and I was chasing my little guys around at the first of the talk) I don't know who it was given by, but I really enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

You know my favorite part was "The Captain of Your Life" line. I've been saying it ever since. I also liked the marriage talk a lot, but that's mainly because I read all the studies that supported his suggestions.

Anonymous said...

I like what you said about it being more "new year-sy" than january- so true.

I really like the first talk on Sat (can't remember who gave it) on prayer.

karin said...

I agree with all of those who have commented before me (especially Shauni, the kid factor really limits how much you take in). I liked the marriage one too and the prayer one was different from most prayer talks (I really liked that). We were on Joseph watch and Dad thought that if he was in the MoTab Choir he would want to be next to the African American guy (more camera time).

Chelle / Chel said...

I liked all of it. I loved Elder Eyring's talk the best. Really enjoyed Elder Scott's on prayer. Just really good stuff .. agreeing with you on the new yearsy feel. Love that analogy.

Chelle

Ann said...

I watched most of it, but, like most years, all the talks kind of ran together for me. I need the Ensign to remind me what everybody said. The only thing that stood out was when Pres. Hinckley told us to use the talks as FHE lessons for the next six months. How's that gonna fly with my little ones, I don't know.