Wednesday, April 18, 2007

It's a Baby!

While Emily is still recovering, I think I'll post a bit about our baby experience to whet your appetite for when Momma's feelin' better.

Emily was scheduled to be induced on Monday the 16th because our little miracle wasn't coming out. After 12 hours of labor and an expedient epidural, it became clear that he wasn't coming out. The doctor did her best to make sure we had tried everything we could and then recommended a c-section. We later learned that he was trying to come out sunny-side up and that just doesn't work. (For those of you who are like me before Monday, babies are supposed be born face down and ours was coming out face up). His poor little head was starting to swell because it was stuck in a bad position.

The surgery went very well and about 5 or 10 minutes into it, as I held Emily's hand, we heard a little cry and we knew he had made it out ok. That moment was one of my best ever as Emily and I smiled at each other. The doctors let me look over the screen and see them cut the cord. I really enjoyed being able to see. The official birth time was 10:43 pm. They whisked him off and cleaned him up and weighed him (7lbs, 1oz) and such (20.75 inches) and then I was able to bring him in to see Emily. That made her happy and that was good because it took her a few hours to recover enough to stop shaking and feel a little more normal.

Mom and baby are doing fine now. Emily is up and walking and feeling much better, although the surgery was pretty rough on her.

Our North Carolina friends, once again, have been ever so helpful and supportive. Ali, Karen and Liz were there through all of the labor and have been in and out of the hospital, bringing us everything we've needed and wanted. Ali stayed all day on Tuesday and took a whole bunch of photos. Here is the link to them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carriers/tags/hyrum/

I'm planning on posting more as soon as I can. In the meantime, feel free to stop by if you're in Raleigh - we'll be out of the hospital on Friday, so don't come here after then or you'll be disappointed. You can also call either of our cell phones.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Internet. Did you go home, or hook up at the hospital? I'll see you tomorrow.

Karen B said...

Just for the record, Hyrum is the nicest, quietist baby on the floor. You can hear all the other babies screaming and Hyrum is nice and friendly with his sticky outy tongue.

Ann said...

Congratulations!!!!
He is adorable! Here's hoping for a quick recovery for Em. After all, aren't you guys moving next week??

shauni said...

Congrats! He is darling. I hope your recovery is quick. C-sections are no fun (I had two), but are a nice, quick end to labor and pregnancy. Good luck with the little tyke. We hope to hear more when you are feeling better.

karin said...

He is really cute with the Stewart Chin and Lips. I was wondering if he had hair,then I went back and saw the missionary photo, but all you can see is a little bit of the front.
Are you still moving on Monday?

Nannie said...

What a cute baby!! Mom & Dad look great too. We are so glad everything is OK. He added another generation to April 16th birthdays on the Nielson side. It is a good day. I'm glad your Mom & Mike are able to be with you for a couple of weeks. You'll both enjoy the help. We love all of you and please give Hyrum a kiss from his Nannie & Papa CY.

Mom Unscripted said...

Congratulations!! I'm so so happy for you two! Hope everything goes well and you recover really fast! Love from Louisiana!!

Chelle / Chel said...

That is the sweetest! I about cried when I saw his pic and I only know you from blog world! LOL

Email me and I'll tell you about names. ;)

Chelle

Chelle / Chel said...

Oh, and what is the middle name, after all?

Chelle

chunkymonkey said...

Yeah! He is so cute! I'm glad to hear he is the quietest, nicest baby and see that he is the cutest. And quite certainly, he is the smartest, although he won't show it off and make other babies feel bad. Good job, little Mommy!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations AJ and Emily! He's beautiful, and I am so glad everything went well. PS - I love the black and white picture of the three of you that you posted on Flickr. Keep the pictures coming :)
take care
your cousin Laurel C.

Unknown said...

Wow what an adorable kid
Congrats! Good luck with him. I love those b&w pictures, ya'll make a cute family already. hope to meet him someday soon.
love, ana