Today is my due date. He won't be here any time soon. Today feels just like any other very pregnant day. Being trained in statistics, I shouldn't have any disappointment at all. I know that a due date is just a point estimate. On average, babies conceived on day x are born on day y. On average. I know that variability is inherent in every natural process. If we could track and measure all elements that went into a result, prediction would be a breeze. But no one has the resources or interest to do that for even a coin flip, let alone something as complicated as childbirth.
Here's why I think I'm a little disappointed: I pride myself on beating the average. When I have control over things, I like to think I can pull it off a little better than the next guy. Well, and part of my disappointment also lies in still being pregnant when in my dream last night I had a baby. And for the first time, it was a newborn boy and he was mine. (Often I dream about other people's babies.) But then my next dream I was 9 months pregnant and trying to save the dolphins and killer whales by encouraging them to go back to sea, and I told off a guy in a screamy, shocked voice who tried to smoke near me in a pool. Yeah, I'm back to my swimming dreams, just like when I was a missionary.
So here I sit, bored and uncomfortable, just waiting. Today I think I'll do dishes. I'll take it from there after that's done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Perhaps you should take my last stats test. I just posted the Easter pics.
Mom had one of eight actually born on the due date, you, I think. I get all my child-related stats from mom, I think she had enough to be semi-accurate. One in 10 people are left handed, Katie is the one in our family of 10... you get the idea.
Hang in there. I know the feeling of having that day come and go and still no baby. It stinks to high heaven.
Sorry to hear that you are still pregnant. If it makes you feel better, I think it is easier to give birth than to be nine months pregnant- so it is all downhill from here! He will be here before you know it and soon you will be wondering how he got so big and when he learned to talk back. Good luck!
Maybe this is the inspiriation for your greatest statisticing: finding an acurate formula for predicting baby birth dates.
Showers are the midwife's epidural. I was taking 3 or 4 a day the week Conrad was born. Long ones. Til the hot water ran out. Then I'd take another as soon as it was heated again.
I didn't make up the "midwife's epidural" part, although it sounds like me. I read that.
To get your mind off of still being pregnant, I recommend watching Brothers and Sisters on ABC.com. Katie and Jill started watching it awhile ago and Katie watched everything there was online while in Nebraska and now I watch a couple episodes a day. I can only watch so much Peter Pan and the same Blue's Clues DVD. Come on BBR and show your mom she should be sleeping (even if it is interrupted) a lot.
Are you going to schedule the birth of The Dred Rico? I know you had that appointment today. Inquiring minds want to know.
Post a Comment