Monday, April 30, 2007

"He's Perfect"

That's what the pediatrician told me today. Like I didn't already know. H is napping right now, and I'm a little torn between resting too and blogging a bit, but Internet, for the first time in weeks, You Won!
AJ summed up the whole birth incident pretty well. It really was the best moment of my life when I heard his little cry 5 minutes into the surgery. Not so great 20 minutes later when I was puking up more grape juice as they sewed me up. The days in the hospital are a little hazy: I know Ali and Karen and Cousin Liz helped out a lot, the hospital staff was awesome, I told them to keep the pain killers coming, AJ changed his first diaper, stuff like that. And I just fell in love with my little son. He is so beautiful and coordinated and sweet. From day 1 he could put his fist in his mouth and hold it there! When he opens his eyes it's hard to look away, he's just so enchanting. I wasn't sure through the pregnancy and even through labor & delivery, but it's true, he was worth all of it. I apologize for the excessive mush.

The day I was released from the hospital, Mom and my brother Mike flew in. Mike has some H pics on his blog. Mom did everything. I got out of the shower one morning to find her on her hands and knees, scrubbing my kitchen floor. She kept H with her at night and only brought him in to me when he was hungry (which turned out to be a lot - he's quite the little eater. The pediatrician was really impressed with his weight gain). She made about 2 meals a day with extras, so now our freezer is full of leftovers, too. She was my rest advocate and she answered all my stupid questions and worries, and she bought me new clothes for H's blessing, since nothing fits and my shape is pretty gross. She left this morning, and I am nervous about how I'll manage. But H and I did run our very first errand just the 2 of us together today and it was fine.

Speaking of H's blessing, we did it yesterday so Mom & Mike could be there. He was an angel. Didn't even need a pacifier. AJ did great, and the blessing was really, really good.

My back is aching a bit now, and my boy is still sleeping, so I'm going to lay down. Maybe I'll blog again someday, though. :)

13 comments:

Karen B said...

It was my job to clean your kitchen floor and I failed. Mostly I just spot mopped with a wash cloth. I knew it was still really dirty but I did nothing. Sorry to your mom. Sorry to your son to have to come home to that on his first trip into his home. Glad your feeling better. But I did wipe off your spice rack AND your toaster. And I also stuffed everything left out in the open into that closet in the office. Good luck opening that by the way.

Anonymous said...

hey Em, I hear C-section recovery can be really rough, so HURRAY for you- that you are out and about!!

give him kisses from his other faux anutie for me!

p.s.give me some color ideas or themes so I can start custom designing an announcement for him!

karin said...

I am glad that you're back (somewhat) to the internet world. Great photos. He is really cute and you will be fine (at least for a few more weeks, he, he).

Anonymous said...

Yay for the post and the good day. I really hope tomorrow is just as good. You can do it! Also, the pic of the three of you is good. Hurray for fill flash.

Chelle / Chel said...

That's beautiful, HE'S beautiful! Congrats again.

Chelle

Ann said...

What a gorgeous boy you have there! That is a wonderful family picture- you should hang a big one on your wall. How did your other errands go today? just as good?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ann. You guys are so good for my photographer self-esteem. The trick really is fill flash. Set your camera to force flash when doing close-ups outside. It still takes advantage of the natural light, but brightens your subject's faces. Photography lesson over.

Mom Unscripted said...

You are a beautiful trio. Congrats again and I'm so glad things are going well. But how can things not be fantastic for fantastic people like you.

shauni said...

Congrats! I can totally relate to the pucking after c-section, not my funnest moment either. He is so adorable and I must say, your mom is great! It sounds like she took good care of you. I can't wait to see more pictures.

Nannie said...

What a beautiful baby boy! We are glad you are feeling better. We are really excited to have everyone home to Utah for pictures in August. Little Hyrum will be a big boy by then. Keep up the blog, we love the pictures and info on all of you. I love your family picture. I'll print it and one of the baby for our mantle. Granpa & I send our love.

Ryan and Katie said...

Oh my goodness! He is so cute! I wish that I could come see you all! I don't become favorite aunt for nothing, you know.

Anonymous said...

I sent you an e-mail to you hopw beautiful your family is. Now I can blog you! Dean set up the account for me. Love you, GramaJ

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhh. He looks wonderful!!! Give him lots of hugs and kisses for me too!! Hugs to you & AJ as well. Get lots of sleep :) when you can! What an awesome family you guys make!!