Friday, January 04, 2008

politics

Here are my feelings: I don't want to see taxes going up. I want to see smarter budgeting and less waste. (If you want to hear my strong feelings on misuse of VA monies, I'll be happy to vent your ear off.) This, to me, rules out the front runners on the democrat side. I think Obama is personable enough, Hillary kind of makes me uncomfortable, and I am SO sick of Edwards's accent, but really it's the money. That's where I see the power is. Whether or not a candidate feels how I do about immigration or abortion is kind of inconsequential.
On to the republican side: Huckabee took the lead in Iowa yesterday. His track record with finances appears to be acceptable, plus I think the whole losing 100 lbs thing is kind of cool. Here's my beef with him: he is pushing his image as an everyday joe who eats squirrels and grew up in a trailer. Super that he feels he can understand the common folk like us, but I want a leader to lead me. Plus he comes off as a Good Ol' Boy - like that comment about if he were hunting and Romney and all that. I do not want him representing me to the world because he embodies our bad reputation to me. Mitt Romney: I like him. He has the Midas Touch, and I want someone who can run our country like a business. I don't agree with his immigration stance, and I don't like that he's resorted to a bit of policy mud-slinging, but he's my guy. Now if only those evangelicals could see what I do in him . . . sigh!

5 comments:

karin said...

I agree with most of what you put. I REALLY don't want taxes raised, we spend enough.

Karen B said...

I stopped discussing my political views when I met Dave. It drives him nuts to not know my political affiliations. Plus it always ended in a discussion about why America is great.

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

I love that Karen's discussions always ended with why America is great...what a positive way to think!

Anonymous said...

This is not politics at all ... just wanted to let you know I linked you on my new blog.

Kim (aka Chelle)

It's our real name blog. ;)

Nats said...

My beef with Huckabee is that he spoke as a keynote speaker at the big southern baptist anti-mormon rally in Utah a few years back. He thrown some subtle jabs at morminism directed at Mitt Romney. Personally I'm a fan of Fred Thompson, strictly on a policy basis... course I am a fan of Law and Order.