Friday, January 25, 2008

This is what I'll be eating on Tuesday

Garlic Vegetable Soup
Serves 6
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small chopped onion
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 medium stalks celery, chopped
1/4 medium head cabbage, chopped
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 (14.5-oz.) cans diced tomatoes
3 cups water
3 cloves garlic, pressed
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat; sauté onions, carrots, celery and cabbage for about 5 minutes,stirring well. Raise heat to high and add broth, tomatoes and water.Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 1hour. Remove from heat and add garlic and salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.

Does it get any better than cheap, tasty, AND healthy? For more deliciously frugal recipes, go to the grocery cart challenge.

9 comments:

Kristy said...

Where do you find all of these great blogs? I adore the Simple Family! That recipe sounds good--I'll have to give it a try.

Gayle said...

That sounds yummy and with grilled cheese....Mmmm! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us!

Gayle

karin said...

I think it is funny that you already know what you are eating Tuesday and it is Friday- what are you eating this weekend and Monday?

I don't have very many of those ingredients on hand- so I probably won't be making it any time soon (Bryan is doing our shopping and it has to be just a quick trip on the way home from work).

I need you to post photos of H and cute stories- I enjoy Phil's blog but that is twice a week and I get bored a lot lately.

Ann said...

Sounds good, but why Tuesday?

Lisa said...

Ok I've had that soup before and it's YUMMY! I make a big pot and eat it for a couple of days. It's still good even a day after!

ConservaChick said...

Now all of a sudden, I desperately need grilled cheese! The soup sounds too good! ~Karlie

MyKidsMom said...

I followed your link from grocery cart challenge- this soup sounds delicious, cheap, and will fit in my diet! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Oh, Tuesday because that's when it fit best in my week. I don't like to cram like foods too close together, so if I have a pasta salad on Monday, I don't want fettucini marinara until Wednesday, for example.

Mamacita said...

Mmmm..yummy! Gotta make this - thanks for stopping by my blog. :)